One of the key challenges, this nation, as well as any country, trying to maintain, democratic elections, etc, is, while, we need statesmen, as public officials, the process, provides, choices, between politicians, instead! Wouldn’t we, be, far – better – off, if, once elected, individuals, honored the oath of office, and transformed, to a statesman, who, prioritized, serving and representing, all his stakeholders (rather than only his core supporters), instead of any personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interests? When, we need, bipartisan, cooperative public leaders, who, proceed, with true, common sense, and realize the full extent of their duties, and responsibilities, and proceed, accordingly, we seem to witness, constantly, populist politicians, and/ or, those will well – financed, campaigns, are elected, often, instead of better – prepared individuals! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 possibilties, of why, our system, seems, broken, needing repair, sooner, rather than later!
1. Money has too much influence and power, in American politics: While, most other nations, which have, somewhat – free, elections, our political campaigns, often, go – on, for over a year, where, in these other places, campaigning is limited to a specific period, generally, about 90 days! In other nations, campaigns are limited, in their spending, etc! In, our country, extensive, well – financed, advertising, and campaigning, is largely – financed, by special – interest groups, etc!
2. Not enough common sense: After, over four decades, of personal involvement, working on several political campaigns, as well as writing about politics, etc, I have come to strongly believe, that, unfortunately, instead of common sense, being used, etc, it seems to be, one of the rarest of commodities, in those, we elect!
3. Personal/ political agenda/ self – interest, versus, the greater – good: A statesman, would seek, ways to get things done, which are the highest priorities, and needs, of the nation, and our citizens, but, we often, witness, politicians, prioritizing their personal/ political agenda, self – interest, and personal enrichment, far – more!
4. Electing the wrong people: Voters often elect the wrong individuals, because they make their decisions, based on little, or incorrect information/ data, and vote, based on their fears, self – interests (in the immediate – term), and popularity, rather than, choosing the candidate, with the best ideas, approaches, and attitude, to get, what’s needed, done, with pragmatic idealism, and responsible governing!
5. Populist politics, instead of viable, sustainable solutions: Populist politicians, often, use empty promises, and rhetoric, to ensure, being elected, even, if, the inevitable result, will be, less – than – stellar! Rather, we would benefit, by opting for people, without, rose – colored glasses, who perceived and conceived of, introduced, and implemented, viable, sustainable solutions!
Wake up, America, and begin to pay more attention, before granting any individual, your vote! We need more statesmen, instead of the same – old, same – old!